Reviewing Exercise 1 & 2

I haven’t yet reviewed my exercises so I thought best I do that now.

So, first is first, the process of Exercise 1. Well, I would say the first image didn’t come out as best as it could, as I believe that even if I was trying to integrate something I’m passionate about, the first idea could’ve worked better with more focus and detail. So this is seen in the following outcomes to this exercise as apart from image 2 and 4, the rest do not exactly fit the concerting genre of photography. The process of all the concert images encountered two key issues, those being that the band members would always move about on stage, and from time to time, the lighting itself would change. But to counter these two key problems, I raise the shutter speed to freeze both the lighting and musician. While the outcome which had the least issues within the process of capturing it was image 5, followed by 3. Image 5 has little issues as it was mainly focusing on something still, and just getting the exposure right, as I used a tripod to steady the camera itself. Then image 3, well it was more by luck that the cyclist past my long exposure shot of the canal, at first that was only meant to be an image of the light reflecting off the canal water.
I did no artist research for this Exercise because, from the ones I looked at or found, none inspired me or gave me new ideas.



While the process for Exercise 2’s outcomes was for a while stopped by the fact that I was wanting to use the bar as a location when it was empty so I was having to wait on my boss to allow me into it before it opens to the public, when it’s totally deserted, and once I was let in, I made the mistake of not pre-planning the shoot, so I went more on instinct.
So after that first shoot, I showed the outcomes to my professor who made some excellent points, and I was wanting to go back with a clearer idea in mind. But the issue was, the next time the boss could let me in, would be too late for the deadline, so from that mistake I’ve learned that pre-planning is essential to any shoot you do, and sometimes, detail is more important than an overall look.
In terms of the outcomes, I think that the first image came out great! Just the way that the archway frames the table and chairs, as it has the light streaming in from the right, causing this great shadow effect upon the objects within the image. I also like how image 2 and 3 came out. 2 for the way that the light is all to the left, yet as you look further to the right of the image, the light starts fading away to black, and how the chairs and tables are all placed, almost leading the views eyes towards the light. I also like how the mirror on the wall reflects the chairs and lighting again, withholding another perspective within the image. Meanwhile, I like image 3 for the way it keeps details upon the bar tabs, and how each hanging lamp above, illuminates different parts of the counter. Also, there’s this whole eery look to this abandoned bar, which has been improved by the colour correction/colour hue and free transform. While my last two images we not as good as they did not go into more detail about the location, instead showed the windows and the back of the bar, both are contrasting to the theme of the last three, and neither has the sombre colour scheme.
Unlike Exercise 1, I did some artist research for this Exercise which wasn’t as much of a deciding feature in my outcomes as it could have been. But they were helpful in showing me new techniques and introducing me to new artists such as:

  • Sophie Calle, which from her I saw the importance of detail, yet did not integrate that into my outcomes, which is a mistake I have learned from.
  • André Kertész, who was the artist who I can most relate my first outcome to, with the light rays, creating the shadows

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *